Birth Stories (or horrors!)

I got pregnant with my oldest daughter right at the end of my senior year of high school. I found out my very last day. I thought I was going to college to be a doctor. After the initial shock and re-adjustment of what I thought my future would hold, I was excited. Growing another human being inside you is one of the weirdest, most special feelings in the world. Especially with everything going on in the world today, I am so grateful that I am a woman that was capable of growing something like my first daughter. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes before entering my third trimester. I also went into labor from dehydration more than a handful of times during BOTH pregnancies! One time with my oldest when I was almost 23 weeks, the contractions weren’t stopping with fluids and they had to give me a medication to hopefully stop the labor from progressing. Luckily, other than these issues that were totally worth dealing with, and a crap ton of heartburn and all day sickness, I had no major complications until 3 weeks before my due date. My OBGYN was afraid that with my diabetes not being controllable with diet or insulin, they would test my amniotic fluid to see if her lungs were developed enough to work on their own outside of my body. That day, my doctor called me with the test results, and scheduled my induction at 1 o’clock a.m. on January 17th, 2012. I was so excited and terrified at the same time. How bad was it going to hurt? Would I poop when I push? Will I learn how to breastfeed fast enough? Will she come out with an extra arm? I was scared. As the hours were slowly passing, I started to feel contractions. I was trying to wait as long as possible to get anything for the pain. I was strong until about 2 p.m. that day. The contractions were hurting worse and I wasn’t progressing very quickly. My daughter was very comfortable inside of me! I accepted a pain medication that the nurse said “will make you feel like you drank a couple glasses of wine”, and MAN! It was amazing…. for about 2 hours. I was only able to get it once in a 4 hour period. Shortly after wearing off, the contractions continued to get stronger, and I continued to get anxious about how long I would be feeling this for. I requested an epidural, which I was terrified to get, but knew it would help the pain. It went pretty smoothly, and I was able to take a nap! My doctor came in and checked me again around 4:30 p.m. and said that he would give it another hour, but if she doesn’t move down anymore, I will be sent home to try again the next day. I was SO upset. I didn’t want to have to go through this whole thing again! I hated needles and was afraid of the unknown. About 10 minutes after he left, most of my support was outside smoking or going to the bathroom. After all, we had already been there all day and most of the night. Suddenly, not like in the movies AT ALL, my water broke. I was already bed-bound due to the catheter because of the epidural, and the bed was overflowing with amniotic fluid. My family called for my doctor and he decided that it was not safe for either of us if she stayed in my uterus any longer without the fluid to keep her safe from infection. He scheduled an emergency c-section, and by now, the pain even with an epidural was becoming unbearable. I was rolled to an operating room around 6:45 p.m. that day. My doctor performed perfectly from what I could tell. At 7:17, my oldest daughter was born,. It was awful being in the cold, bright room. Holding onto my ex’s hand while I could feel them moving my organs around to get to our baby. After some complications with my intestines from the surgery, I left the hospital 6 days later with a healthy beautiful baby girl.

My second pregnancy was not nearly as much of an exciting story. My doctor suspected I would be plagued with gestational diabetes again, which I was. This time, I was able to control it with my diet, and I ended up losing 35 pounds during this pregnancy. I was not expecting this pregnancy at all, but I accepted very quickly that I was going to be a parent of 2, when my baby was only 4 months old. The hardest part about this pregnancy would have to be the relationship issues I had with their father. I am still keeping that story up my sleeve, hoping for more people to follow my story before I share that one! Anyway, they scheduled my youngest daughter’s cesarean for March 28th, 2013. I began to go into labor when I arrived at the hospital for my planned cesarean (They thought she would be too big for my hoo-ha so he recommended this course). I didn’t feel the contractions that were showing up on the screen, I was just ready to get the pregnancy over with and meet my second beautiful daughter. My spinal block went smoothly, I was only slightly nervous because I had only been through an emergency c-section, and it was very scary and painful. Surprisingly, my baby was born at 2:16 p.m. and I didn’t feel A THING. I was shivering from the cold, but too excited to worry about that. I was happy to find out my second daughter looked almost identical to my first, but had a lot less hair!

I would love to hear everyone else’s birth stories/horror stories! What were you most nervous about? What did you take to the hospital with you? Did you breastfeed or bottle feed?

*Please note, I support all mothers. I am not posting my experience for people to judge other people based on their choices for parenting their children. Please keep this in mind when commenting, and be respectful of EVERYONE. Thank you!

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.